Wednesday, March 25, 2009

MoreTalent Than American Idol

Matthew 25:14-30, in the Bible, is the Parable of the Talents. The study Bible I read says that a talent was a sum of money equal to about 2 years wages for a person. In this parable, a wealthy man entrusts a couple of men with a certain number of "talents" of the financial sort. One of the men that received a talent buried his for fear of having his master's money taken. One man invested the money and grew the talents. At the end of the parable, the one who used the talents and grew them was rewarded by being placed in charge of many things. The one who did nothing with the talent except bury it in the ground was thrown out into the darkness where he wept.
This parable is referencing the talents, gifts or opportunities that God gives to each of us. In Sunday school class, we have all filled out a spiritual gifts assessment form. It allows us to see how God has blessed us so that he can use us in service to Him. My strongest gifts lie in Mercy and Pastoring/Shepherding. Human compassion is where my heart lies. I am a comforter. I also want people to know about God and have a relationship with him. Being that I love people, this is not an uncomfortable talent for me. I do still wish that I had a great singing voice though! But I know that this is not a talent that he wished for me to have.
I remember when I was working at the cancer treatment center that I had been speaking with a family member about being a nurse. She had asked me how in the world I could work with cancer patients all day long. I love it! But I told her that I felt like being a nurse was doing God's work. Loving and caring for others all day long is exactly what I think Jesus would do....so WWJD?? I think that nursing others would be high on his priority list! She said to me in sort of an ashamed way, that she wished that she had a gift like that from God. She didn't think that she had a talent or gift. She worked as a waitress. I told her that being a nurse might seem like an obvious gift...caring and loving others. But I bet that God used her in other ways to help others. I bet that when she came in contact with patrons of that restaurant, that her bright, beautiful smile was a gift from God that probably brought comfort to weary souls. And the simple gesture of offering someone a hot cup of coffee and a little kindness went a long way. We don't ever know what every person is going through in their personal lives. We don't always see the weariness that people have down in their souls. A quick pat on the shoulder, a small hug, a "HI how are you?" or just a great smile can turn a person's entire life around. Sometimes all a person needs is a little ray of hope to help them get through to the next day....a sweet smile and pat on the back could provide that little ray!
I think that sometimes we think that we should all be blessed with beautiful voices to be able to sing praise to God and show that we are faithful servants. We discount the simple things about us that really make us special as Christians. But really, when God decides to bless us with a talent, we are to use what God has given us, we aren't to hand it back saying, " awww why couldn't I do what so and so is doing?" If we were all meant to sing, who would give out the hugs? If we all were supposed to give out hugs, who would keep up with the tithes?
Its just like our career choices....God makes someone that wants to do every sort of job. I love being a nurse! But I met a woman who said that her son had dreamed of driving large farming equipment since he was a little kid. He was now in his 20's living his dream and couldn't be happier! I personally wouldn't be happy doing that young man's job! But someone's got to do it! God burdens each one of us with the desire to do something....unfortunately its not always clear to each of us exactly what God wants us to do with our lives and our talents. As a matter of fact, I didn't know that I wanted to be a nurse, I only knew that I wanted to SERVE/HELP others. Well, I could have gone down several different avenues to achieve this goal...I did start out in law enforcement! But I ended up in nursing and feel very fulfilled in this field. Who's to say that I wouldn't have the same satisfaction working in a little coffee house where I could meet and talk to people all day? Either way, I am using the talent that God has blessed me with. And I am thankful for all other Christians that are using their talents as well....that sweet, welcoming smile and that hot cup of coffee go a really long way when my spirits are low and I need a little reminder that God loves me no matter what!

No comments: