Sunday, March 8, 2009

Its been a long time



I realize that I haven't been as faithful about writing as I once was! Life gets kind of hectic sometimes...and well, we did lose power for a few days due to our most beautiful snow storm ever!! Let me just say that despite events involving my Dad and the ice, I really enjoyed the whole snowy few days. When our power went out, we made sure that our wood stand was full. There is nothing worse than having to make multiple trips to the wood pile in the freezing cold! Then we got out our oil lanterns and Coleman stove. Pete started up the generator, plugged in a lamp in our room, plugged in our electric blanket and an oil heater in our bedroom and the refrigerator. We were good to go! The girls slept on pallets on the floor. We slept in our bed all cozy and warm. I almost got too warm!


In the morning, we plugged in the toaster oven and coffee maker to the generator. I can not say that at any point during the whole snow event that we suffered at all! Nancy called me one of the nights and asked me if I had taken a double dose of my "relax my crack" medicine! I laughed and told her that I was actually really cozy and relaxing sans drugs! :) It was down right pleasant!


The afternoon when the snow started, we had just gotten home from church. We were planning on going to watch the Lady Dawgs play basketball. As we were about to leave for the game, the snow began to fall. It was so heavy and never slowed from falling! So my first instinct was to open all the blinds in my bedroom, slide into bed, pull the covers up to my chin and watch the snow fall! Within 30 minutes, my car was covered in snow! It was so nice! Lila and Lyndi came and piled in with me for a while to watch the snow. It didn't take long for Lila to head outside and play in the snow!


On Tuesday morning, some of the snow had begun melting but ice was a huge problem! The roads were covered with ice! As my Dad got out of his car at work, he hit a patch of ice, slipped and broke his left hip. At 9:30PM Dad came out of recovery from surgery and returned to his room. What a huge mess! Bless his heart, he was in so much pain.


Since Tuesday, Dad has been doing much better. He has been working with physical therapy at the hospital, trying to get his strength built up in his left leg. He has been keeping an unusually positive attitude. I have asked a lot of people to pray for him. My Dad is not the type to lay out of work and not be productive. He will need a lot of prayers and support while he is stuck at home!!! I pray for a speedy recovery. Tomorrow they are supposed to be releasing him home. He will have home health nursing and physical therapy for a while. I think he is going to do all he can to get (literally) back on his feet again!


My friend Cutina has been sick again. She has had two abscesses in her intestine here in the last couple of weeks. Her doctors have moved up the doses of Remicade that she gets to help heal the abscesses and hopefully (prayerfully) put her Crohns in remission. She told me that she has been feeling better in the last week or so. She still has some pretty significant attacks of pain daily.


We have been loving our new pup Iris! She is about 1.5 years old. She is a Terrier/Something mix breed. She was an adopted doggie from a foster home. She has turned out to be the best dog we have ever had! She is very sweet and well mannered. She minds better than my own children! :) And she loved playing out in the snow!!

No comments: