Tuesday, March 10, 2009

OH MY!

Today I had a patient that was a really sweet, talkative lady. She spent a lot of time telling me about her sons. She is so proud of them!! They sounded like really good boys too! She was talking about how they never drank in high school, used drugs, got in trouble, got piercings or tattoos. WOW! What nice boys! Then she told me that her niece or cousin's kid..someone..I don't recall now after what she was saying....ANYWAY...this girl went to college on a full scholarship (that's impressive)...had two tone hair, went and got piercings and a "tramp stamp" on her lower back...you know, one of those tattoos! Well then she pondered out loud, "What will her children think one day when they see that thing on her back??!!" What could she have been thinking??? The relative with the tattoo and piercings?!!!
I shrugged and quickly tried to change the subject......Unfortunately she lingered a while longer on the topic but then finally gave up on it after I didn't give much of a YEAH!! HOW DARE SHE??!! WHAT WILL HER KIDS THINK??!
I kind of wondered if, while I was getting up from my seat if she may have noticed the colorful inkings on my own backside..............OH MY!! WHAT WILL MY CHILDREN THINK OF ME??? WHAT KIND OF CONTRIBUTION WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO MAKE TO SOCIETY??!!! WILL A MAN EVER REALLY BE ABLE TO LOVE ME? WILL I END UP IN PRISON COSTING TAX PAYERS MILLIONS OF DOLLARS?? Man, I sure hope not! And my kids really haven't made a ruckus about a funny picture of a gecko that Mama has on her back. I have gotten pinched on the back by Lyndi...I think she was testing to see if it was real or not! Lila just told her Daddy when she was about 4 or 5 that she too will have a tattoo one day....he was like "GREAT!! SEE WHAT YOU'VE STARTED??!!" I told him that if that is the worst thing she ever does, I think we will survive!
I had a rather shallow boss say one time that if she had KNOWN that I had a tattoo that she wouldn't have ever hired me. That really hurt my feelings. The thing is that I always try to keep my backside covered up. I don't have sleeves or chest art. I don't have my kids names tattooed on my neck. She wouldn't have ever even known that I had a "tramp stamp" on my back if she hadn't been listening in on a conversation that I was having with a fellow nurse (my other supervisor).
People make a lot of judgement calls about others based upon appearance. I think its really unfortunate! I can not believe that someone would be so shallow that they wouldn't hire me just because I have ink! I love caring for patients more than anything! I am a great employee with a great work ethic! I care about my job! But this person was so shallow that she would have let her own personal biases effect her hiring practices. Its not like I'm a registered sex offender and want to work at a day care! There are no swastikas or nudey pictures on my body!
Anyway, my point is this...we shouldn't be so quick to judge others. For all this relative of Miss Tramp Stamp knows, her favorite cousin/niece...whatever could be a Noble Peace Prize winner some day! She might build multiple houses for Habitat for Humanity! She may save a baby from a burning house...She just doesn't ever know! But if this girl gets her belly button pierced or some other nether region...If she gets a panther tattooed over the rest of her back or on her leg...IF THAT'S THE WORST THING THIS GIRL EVER DOES...FOR GOODNESS SAKES, PLEASE DON'T JUDGE HER FOR THAT!!!! Self expression shouldn't be a crime! Purple hair when you are in college isn't the most awful thing ever...There definitely are much worse things in life! And I think that many people would be REALLY suprised to find out that their own Grandma might have a piercing or a "tramp stamp" above their bottom too....I've seen many folks in their birthday suits...and it suprised me to find many of both on ladies over the age of 50 that were freshly inked or pierced!!! And I'm not kidding!

No comments: