Monday, November 3, 2008

Flesh, blood....and vocal cords


I spoke to my Aunt Jo on the phone last night. She lives in Miami. She is my mom's oldest sister. Every time I talk to her I am struck with a few things about family...

I love the fact that when you look at family members you can see resemblances. For instance, I love that my oldest daughter has brown eyes like me and Pete. Lyndi looks a lot like Lila. And there is no mistaking that I am my mother's child. Our hands look very similar. But there is no denying that our legs look identical! We even have the very same knees and ankles! And no matter how fat our cores get, our legs will always be chicken legs! Saddle bags are just not in my future. I didn't get my mom's eyes though. She has very pale, ice blue eyes. I got my Dad's brown eyes.

Thinking of my Aunt Jo, I am amazed at how much her voice is starting to sound like my Granny's voice. And I am also amazed at how much her voice sounds very similar to my own mom's voice. I guess vocal cords run in the family. I know my voice sounds very similar to my mom's voice. However, I am referring to her normal speaking voice...not her voice over her cell phone. My mom has that same disorder that a lot of folks have that makes them think they have to speak a lot louder into their cell phone for you to actually hear them!

In the last few years, when I talk to my brother and my Dad, I am beginning to hear similarities in their voices. I have also noticed that my mom and I have similar hand writing. Certain letters look just a like.

Lila, she is the only lefty in our family. She however has a unique pencil holding style. Her gifted teacher pointed this out. She told me that she was trying to encourage Lila to hold her pencil differently. She said that its weird that Lila holds her pencil on her second to last finger. Really? Because I too hold my pen that way...nothing weird about it to me!! I'm just a righty...she is MY CHILD!! All the way down to how she holds her pencil! That makes me proud!

I can definitely say that we are all very unique individuals in our family. But those subtle and not so subtle similarities make being family so special. So if you think Auntie Grace has an obnoxious laugh or Uncle Harold has a weird shaped head...you may want to wait until you get a little age on you before you make these determinations. You never know when you hair falls out that your head may be shaped just like Harold's (since it was hidden under hair!). Or you never know that as your voice ages whether or not you may begin to sound just like Auntie Grace. How special though that you will always be able to carry just a little bit of some family member with you for the rest of your life....unless you have your mom's child birthing hips or Grandma Addison's shelf booty!!!

No comments: