Sunday, February 1, 2009

ZIP! ZAP! ZING!

I feel like I am living in a comic book right now. I am currently day two without Effexor (an antidepressant). Other than being a little more teary at the slightest little sentiment...I'm fine emotion wise....its the "brain zaps" that are really irritating me. Anyone that has ever tried to come off of an antidepressant knows all too well the feeling that I am talking about! Evidently Effexor is the hardest of all the antidepressants to stop taking. I did exactly what I was supposed to do, by weaning down from my dose to the lowest dose possible which is 37.5 mg. But that did not prevent the weird sensations that I have had to deal with today!
This afternoon, we went on an 8.9 mile bike ride with Lila on her new mountain bike and Lyndi in her little bike trailer. Pete pulled Lyndi. The ride was great and helped me to stop thinking about my brain boggle that I had been dealing with.
When we got home, I looked up on the internet,"Effexor Withdrawal". My goodness, the problems people complained of were not very encouraging. I think that as long as I can deal with the zaps I'll be ok. Some people say that this sensation lasts for one week up to months after stopping the med. I really hope that I am blessed with the one week!
I decided to go off of this medication in the first place because my cardiologist suggested that it could be effecting my heart rate and blood pressure. Effexor effects the Norepinephrine in our bodies (flight or fight hormone). My doctor thinks that since he ablated my heart, my heart rate could still be running a little higher due to the medication. And I began taking the Effexor to help me deal with anxiety. I also took it for post partum depression. Since Im not post partum anymore and I feel emotionally stable, I thought that I would try to stop taking it. I haven't been anxious much since I had the ablation. I am able to recognize now that my heart rate was really making me feel tense.
As a point of praise, I discovered while riding today that I did not feel winded or tachycardic more than usual. I did not have the same old pressure in my neck, causing me to feel short of breath while riding. For years, before my ablation, I always found it more difficult to work out. I would get exhausted easily. NOT TODAY! I felt great...well, other than the brain ZAPS and dizziness! GOOD GRIEF!
So I am asking that if you read my blog, please pray for me. Pray that my body adjusts quickly and positively to not taking the Effexor. Please pray that I dont have to take any other antidepressants at all! I really picked a hard week to decide to stop taking this med....I crashed and hurt myself yesterday (when I stopped taking the Effexor). I really had a lot of pain from falling off of our pull behind trailer while helping a friend move. And this is also the MOST hormonal week for me.....WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING???!! :) Pray for my family too!
If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly be open to hear what you think. Otherwise, please PRAY PRAY PRAY for me! :)

No comments: