Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A God-less world?

I'm not the kind of person that "grew up" going to church. When I was about 12 years old, I began going to church by myself to youth group. My parents didn't go or wouldn't go. They never liked people showing up at the house, hounding them to go to church. We had one fellow call the house at 7AM one Sunday morning bugging them about going to church. I think that might not have been a good approach to take with them! Thanks buddy!
At any rate, Pete and I have been working with a few other other adults teaching a group of Kindergarten to 2nd grade kids about God through AWANA. When we started, I knew NOTHING about AWANA. The Baptist churches or Christian churches I attending never had AWANA, GAs or RAs. We have about 14 kids that attend.
Tonight, Lila invited a friend of hers to come with us to church. The child came with, expressing great nervousness about church. He admitted that he had never been to church. After getting to church, the boy discovered that many of his friends also went to church with us. The boy was so excited! The boy asked why we went to church. Lila said that she told him that we go to church to learn about God, not to play. He told her that he did not know who God was. Lila said,"Well, God created everything. He is the one who made you and me! God is the one who put you here on the Earth!" I thought, "Well someone has been paying attention!" WOW! GO LILA!
I got to thinking about this little fellow. I can not imagine what it must be like to not know about God or have any idea what the whole GOD thing is about in the first place. I wish I could remember the first times I heard about God. Lila will be able to tell people that she "grew up in church". She might even say that her parents seemed to take her to church every time the doors were open...which wouldn't really be true since we don't usually go on Sunday nights! But I know that she won't ever be able to say that her parents just didn't "do the church thing".
What would my life be without God? What it would it be like to not know that Jesus died for my sins? What if I did not believe all of that? I can remember when I was about 12 years old or so when I was not certain what I believed. I, like many other people, believed that only a bunch of hypocrites, who worried about the clothes you wore more than they worried about God, went to church. I had no idea. I believed that church was about the people in the church...only as I matured did I realize that church was about God and who cared what anyone else thought?
What if I did not know that God loved me and was with me at all times? I know that there would have been many times in the past that I would have been crying out to nothing with no sense of hope. I am so grateful that I have a loving, merciful God that listens to my prayers and always has my best interest at heart. When times are tough (financially, emotionally, relationship wise, temptation wise...etc..) God gives me opportunity. When one door closes, God opens another one. I whole heartedly believe this. I can't name all the times when I have found myself in a fix...financially for instance, that God sent JUST ENOUGH money my way to help me get by. When I was in nursing school, there were countless times that God helped us. But Pete and I put our faith in God and he took care of us! He always provides for us still!
I wonder that that little boy is thinking about tonight after church? Is he thinking about the fun he had with his friends? Is he thinking that our lesson tonight was too boring and he wouldn't want to have to go back to church? Or could he be thinking about who this God character is that we mentioned tonight? I thought as we were praying and teaching our lesson tonight that it must be strange to hear a room full of people saying praises and praying to some unseen God. Who knows, maybe he will ask Lila if he can come back. Maybe tonight planted the seed. Maybe God is talking to his heart right now? I am excited to see what happens!

No comments: