Saturday, October 4, 2008

How Bizarre

Tonight after Lila got out of the tub, the toilet began gurgling. This has happened before. It always freaks Lila out. I think she thinks that the toilet monster is going to get her. I kind of wonder whats up with the plumbing. Our house is just over one year old.
Anyway, after she got out of the tub, she flushed the potty. I dont know if she had used it or not. I suspect she just wanted that sound to go away. Well, the toilet began to back up and overflow. And Little Miss Nosey had to come in and check things out....I had to run Lila and Lyndi out.
I grabbed the handy dandy plunger and began to go to work at it. The water went down but it didnt go down quickly or by very much. I hollered for Pete. This is not a good thing. We guessed that perhaps a sock or some object got "accidently" flushed down. Lyndi likes to throw laundry while Im in the tub and I had just gotten out before Lila gpt in.
Some time later, Pete used our guest bathroom at the front of the house. He came out announcing that it was a bi toilet problem and not just a one john worry. NOT GOOD!!! He plunged that one too. Same deal...slow, low drainage.
Thank God for the internet. I began reading about clogged toilets and backed up septic tanks. Pete went out to the yard to see if there was anything noticable there. He said everything looked fine and smelled fine.
I came across a number of websites that recommended the use of dish soap and hot water. So I thought...what can it hurt? Pete said "What good is that going to do?!" I was like...Ill try and see. So I squirted a healthy dose of Ajax dish soap in and rinsed behind with hot water (not boiling, just sink hot). Suddenly the water drained of the bowl. I couldnt believe my eyes. So I flushed the toilet to see if it was going to fill right back up again. Nope. So I went to the other bathroom and repeated this ritual. Same thing happened. I had to drag Pete off the couch just so I could have a witness to this!! He couldnt believe it either.
Now tomorrow morning there is always the chance that there will be a boat load of Ajax bubbles out in our side yard...and our toilets could runneth over in the night...but for now.....the day is saved..or the night...however you want to look at it!! I know Im just glad that our toilets are flushing. No drains are backed up FOR NOW.
As for what the true problem is that has caused this trouble???I dont know...I may be missing a sock. Or Lyndi may be down one toy. Or worst case scenario, our plumbing is faulty. I cant imagine our septic tank being full yet...we are kind of full of it...but dang...thats a lot of stuff from our family!!!
Ill keep you posted. Id really hate to have to call a plumber out on a Sunday. That could break the bank. But if you ever have a problem where your toilets wont flush, try the dish soap technique. Just dont make the water too hot...it could crack your bowl or pipes I guess. The sites warned about this. Then Id try a plumbing snake. Then if all else fails...call the plumber!

No comments: