Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Family

Today was my grandma's funeral. I guess they got the whole money thing worked out. It was strange looking at her there in the coffin. I only briefly observed her and moved on. I am not a big fan of the body in the coffin thing. My daughter Lila commented that it looked like they had glued her mouth shut...Im like...ummm, well....errr....Just don't say that outloud ok kid?? And the makeup they use...worse than Misses Doubtfire any day. That heavy duty pancake stuff...That's not my Grandma! She never even wore makeup!
I have had several people express their apologies to me. And I do appreciate it! But I really have faith that I will be with her again. Since I have been in the nursing field, and having worked part of it in oncology, I have come to realize that death is not always the worst thing in the world...especially not for Christians. We are guaranteed our future. Human suffering is so much worse than death. I would much rather see someone that is really sick, suffering and dying the slow death to just pass on. Forget what heart ache I may experience...its not fair to me to be selfish when a person is close to passing on to be with Jesus. And I really could not help but think that she is getting to be with my Granddaddy again in some form or fashion!
My grandparents were simple folks. My Granddaddy was stationed in the Phillipeans during the war. He helped to build bridges. My Grandma, she never drove..not even one day in her life. They never had a lot and they never seemed to require a lot. My Granddaddy was a wood craftsman. He could build anything I think. He built me a little doll cradle.. I still have it. Its in Lila's room now. He built little tables and chairs for my dolls. Oh I loved my Granddaddy!
I can remember my Granddaddy sitting in a recliner. He smoked a pipe. He had a very distinct smell about him from his pipe and the wood shed where he piddled around in. But he used to let me comb his hair with my little pink Barbie comb or brush. Then I would put little plastic curlers in his hair. He would let me do that for hours. And he always carried a handkerchief. It was either blue or red...always. He kept it in his back pocket. My favorite game was to try to capture that kerchief and keep it away from him. Oh he was so much fun! I loved him to pieces! I got teary today thinking of him! Crazy I know being that it was Grandma's funeral! But I was his girl! I was his only grand daughter.
Grandma....she was a sweet woman. She had a great laugh. She had an infectious laugh. She was as strong as an ox too. I remember hearing someone refer to her as a Granny. She was no, fragile, dainty granny I can promise you that! She could wrestle bears I bet! Just get a hug from her! You would know! She could hug like there was no tomorrow! My Grandma was a strong woman. I remember her keeping us kids straight. For many years I think I was afraid of her! She could put the what for down on your bottom! I can still hear her say that we had to go outside and play...and STAY OUT! STOP COMING IN AND OUT! My Granddaddy used to work nights at a saw mill as a night watchman. She had to keep us rowdy kids in check so as not to wake him up. Im sure that was not an easy task.
My Grandma always had a little nervous shake in her hands. I bet raising so many kids of her own and then dealing with us was a hoot! But she loved her family! I always knew that she loved me too. One of my fond memories of her was that she used to listen to Old Time Gospel music on the radio all the time. You know, back then, tvs weren't always around and they didn't get good reception out in the deep country...Sandy Cross, GA back then.
My Grandma could cook too! She could cook all the regular country favorites. But I can still see her sitting at her table filling deviled eggs. Her spoon shook a little with her hands. And she could make an awesome key lime pie with the thickest meringue you could imagine. She even made a fruit cake...which sounds disgusting but hers were so good! Not those hard blocks of styrofoam or whatever they are made of.
I don't remember if my Grandma ever had a regular job. All I can remember is her taking care of folks near where she lived. I guess you could say she was a CNA before there was official CNAs. She would sit with folks a lot. She helped them with their house, general care and cooking. She was a good woman.
I am going to miss my grandparents. I already do really. As I mentioned before, my Grandma had already shown signs of dementia. I think she may have had a little paranoia caused by the dementia. But she still loved her family, people in general and her God. You can't argue with that. I remember one Christmas gift I received from my Grandparents..because they could not afford much and probably wouldn't have wasted money on much anyway...was a Children's Bible Stories book. I still have that book. Inside it, it is signed by my Grandma and Granddaddy. That's very special to me.
Life with my Grandparents had nothing to do with all the stuff that a lot of Grandparents give their babies now. Their love was shown by coming to visit with me and my family. Their love was shown with the goodies Grandma would bake and the creative crafts my Granddaddy would make. I loved that and still do! And I miss those bear hugs that could potentially crush the life out of you from my Grandma. I miss my Granddaddy's soft bear paw hands that never became calloused from all of his wood working. I wish so much that those were things that I could share with my own children. But those things are gone. When they get older and can understand some of my memories, I will share them with them more.
Every now and then, I will pass some man somewhere and think about how much he reminds me of my Granddaddy. And every now and then I will be some where and smell that familiar scent of my Granddaddy's pipe and sawdust from the shed. It brings me back years. I love that! I will cherish the memories I have of both of them and be so grateful when I see them again!

No comments: