Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter Blues? Greens or Yellows?

The past few days, I have been feeling kind of blue. I was reading a magazine article today about the necessity of Omega-3's in our diets. Omega-3 isn't just good for our heart but evidently its good for our brains....depression. It makes sense to me. It has an effect on our Serotonin levels. Who would have ever have thought that eating oily fish=happiness? Are Asians really more happy than we are? The really crummy thing is that I don't even like fish. Ok, Tuna is fine, maybe a fried piece of Cod...but beyond that, is pushing it! WHY cant WHITE BREAD be full of the goodness that we need in our diets? WHY can't chocolate chip cookies be REALLY, REALLY good for us? That's the injustice of life isn't it? Now, I know, flaxseeds are a great source of Omega-3s. I took a capsule of it today. I'm hoping that I can catch up! :) I am also hoping that the 30 minutes I road on the bike trainer will make me lose 7 pounds that I recently packed on. And I feel certain that those 7 pounds had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the 4-5 (I lost count as my sugar levels rose above measurable levels on a glucometer!!!) Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls from the can that I ate last Wednesday!! And I bet that those 7 pounds have nothing to do with my lack of activity the last several months! Just like getting pregnant with Lila and Lyndi had nothing to do with.....oh...nevermind!!
So Pete and I are planning on doing better. None of this New Year resolution crap. That never works. I really HAVE to do something. Any person can scoff at me for being upset about gaining 7 pounds. But I will say this: 7 pounds also carries with it a little extra weight that I have to squeeze into a size 8 pair of jeans (forget my 6's!!!), my cholesterol levels are probably sinful in themselves after eating fat saturated foods and my already tachy heart isn't going to get less tachy having to deal with the added weight! All of my adult life minus the time that I was pregnant and post baby, I have always weighed 136. I am up to 143. I am 35 years old and will be 36 in April. My metabolism (in theory) is already beginning to slow the closer I get to 40! I have to do something NOW!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these freakish people that suddenly eat a piece of lettuce for lunch and insist that I must stick to a strict diet! I am not shooting for losing 20 pounds here. So anyone that reads this and says "I HATE SKINNY FOLKS THAT THINK THEY ARE FAT!!" Please don't say/think that. I have a few things in my genetic history that is a huge incentive to stay smaller.....1) DIABETES 2) High blood pressure 3) Clogged arteries or PVD 4)Unattractive behinds in polyester pants! See so I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!! And by the way, most people's butts look bad in polyester pants...especially the really tight ones...which no one should be wearing anyway!!
So for now (as in today) Pete and I are planning to ride our bikes, eat better and take our flax seed capsules. I will post my efforts here to add a dimension of accountability to this. So now everyone knows: I am almost 36 and I weigh 143!
Wish me the best!!

No comments: