Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reflecting back on who I used to be....

As a mom, I think that its not unusual to take a moment from time to time to reflect back on life pre-children. I have been thinking about this a bit more now that I have 2 children...you know, what it was like before having our second child. I only had one crazed maniac to chase after. Now I have two!

I started YESTERDAY trying to get back into shape...some shape or form. I dont know that I will ever be the same after having had children. I know, I know, Im slender! Ok! Im not one of these people that go around saying,"IM FAT! IM FAT!!!" No! But I am out of shape! There is a huge difference. I have no muscle tone right now. I have begun doing sit ups...torturous sit ups performed on a Roman Chair. If you arent familiar, you should really try it! No ab lounger, no routine of 500 sit ups can compare! Just start out with about 10 situps...really...dont over do it! While I was at work today, I could feel every muscle in my abdomen every time I laughed. And working with Sherrie, I am guaranteed to get a good hee haw in at least a handful of times daily!

So back to being out of shape! I may be what a lot of people refer to as skinny BUT I have that baby pouch or apron for a gut. No matter how skinny and flat my stomach may get, I think that I ll still have loose skin at my stomach. I can say that I am very fortunate that I dont have a lot of stretch marks, I know that makes things even more difficult for women. But I have decided that I will try to shrink that pouch down. I can only imagine that it could probably be compared to a beer gut on a guy. After a month or so, I will let you know how things are going. If all else fails, I have the name of a plastic surgeon at Lake Oconee that I might go see!

I want to start riding my bike again. Because I dont have access to a baby sitter too often, I will ride my bike on the trainer. That way, I can keep a close eye on the two little maniacs. Sure they will scream and fight while Im trying to ride. They will scream MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!!! and point at eachother with accusing fingers!! Lyndi might even whack Lila to set her straight about some crime that she had committed against her baby sister. But as long as my thighs firm up and become STRONG, skinny, chicken legs...I dont care!

Now that my Ive had the heart ablation done, I really want to start some sort of cardio routine. I have thought about running. But really.....running stinks...especially with the weather we have been having. I know walking is the best exercise ever, but I want something more. Thats where I think the bike trainer will be helpful. I need a goal though. Maybe I can plan to ride another road ride like the Twilight Gambler. That ride was 36 miles. I had the opportunity to ride the 100 mile ride....but I figured that death was not an option for me at that time!

Ok, now that I think about it....within almost a year, I have had my gall bladder out, I was admitted to the hospital for something heart related (unknown at that time), I had one kidney stone, I had two stomach viruses, 3 migraines and my cardiac ablation. Why do I think that my poor shape has anything to do with my precious little ones?? Maybe my current condition has much more to do with getting old!! This year I will turn 36! Only 4 more years until 40! WHEW!!

Maybe I really need to step it up a notch when thinking about this whole getting in shape thing! I might not have a lot of choice....I dont want to go downhill any further! Never mind that my children have destroyed every nerve I had left after nursing school! Now I have old age knocking at my door!

Let me also add that our children have not only had an effect on me but on Pete also. Pete is almost completely white headed now. In the last 4 years, nursing school (for me) and having two children (with me) and his own (now 20 yr old ) son, has really stripped the red right out of his hair! By the time he turns 50, in two years, he will be white headed for sure.

No comments: