Wednesday, January 7, 2009

History

Within the last 24 hours, I received 3 additions to my list of friends on Facebook. One might quickly assume that I am SO very popular..which I am but......
One of the additions was my cousin Tim. One was Tim's girlfriend that I just met this past weekend. And finally, one was a fellow that I dated just prior to Pete. Actually, the day I told Pete that this fellow and I had broken up, Pete asked me to go to dinner with him. He told me later that he did not want to take any chances that I might find someone else to date. He said that when he had met me that he had KNOWN that he was going to marry me! Never mind that I was dating someone else and actually was engaged to be married to this fellow. After being married for 9 years in October of this year, I guess that Pete's intuition was exactly right.
Running into this person online was kind of memory provoking. Not the kind where a person ends up crying and saying,"WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!!" I don't have any regrets that things turned out the way they did. It's just funny how when you date or are friends with someone for a while that you have a bit of history together. Now, don't get me wrong. Since Pete and I have been together so long, I always assume that all the things I had done or all the places I had been in the past were naturally with him. He always says,"Noooo that wasn't me, that must have been your other boyfriend!" Ohhhh my bad. Huhhh!
Anyway, this person had sent me a message saying hi and telling me that he had one child and another on the way! How exciting I thought! And how funny to me that I thought it was exciting! After our "breakup," things got ugly for me at home. My family was shocked and very upset that we had broken up. My mom had said something like,"Since you can't seem to get along with anyone, are you sure you aren't a lesbian?!" Yea, thanks Mom! Ill let you know when I meet the right woman. But at that time, I knew that I was not engaged to the right man for me. Things had just not worked out between us.
Strangely enough, the ex fellow ended up marrying a girl that he had worked with while we dated. He used to make unfavorable comments about her and her *itchy attitude. I remembered thinking while we were dating that I had better keep my eye on her. I just had a sense that something was there....I fully believe that he did not have a clue at that time that he would end up marrying that girl (I referred to her as "the Crow" back then). I don't think he had the same intuition that Pete had had about me....But I think I knew....I just didn't know what I knew! Makes sense doesn't it?!
Anyway, so he is happily married and has a child on the way! Im really glad for him! See, I told my mom he was not the right one for me...and I was not the right one for him. Too bad hindsight is 20/20. After we had broken up, things were so tense for me around my family. It was quite some time after I started dating Pete that my family began to accept him. Now he is part of family...as crazy as my family is!
I think back sometimes to the people I dated when I was in my 20's. I wish someone had said,"You know Marci, that person just is not for you...dont waste your time!" Life rarely works like that though. All of us have spent too much time, energy, money, emotions and life in general on people that weren't right for us (that includes friends, other family members, jobs). Sometimes I do wish that I could go back and have a do over!
I guess one good thing about the past and its experiences is that HOPEFULLY we learn from our mistakes. We are open to what is really meant for us. Hopefully we trust what God has planned for our lives.

No comments: