Sunday, August 10, 2008

Exhaustion is a state of being

Well, I made it home by a little after 8 tonight. Today was probably one of THE LONGEST days of my life ever. I thought that being in labor was painful....today was worthy of a good epidural for sure!! I actually started off the morning of my LAST day at work with catching my left birdy finger in a drawer. I actually thought that if I couldnt free my poor finger from the drawer that I might have to get someone to call the fire department and have them cut my finger out! Finally the right push and pull on the drawers made the drawers let go!!! I wanted to throw up it hurt so bad!
This afternoon, I had a patients PEG tube descide to play the role of "Old Faithful" and spew stomach contents up and out of the OS that the tube went down in. I had to pad the poor man's stomach down with gauze and ABD pads. I coated his stomach with barrier cream to protect his skin from the stomach acid. Ask me how happy I was about this......
I had two IVs blow today. One was a super delicate one to a man's foot that probably required prayer to our Good Lord just to be able to start! There was no restarting any new IVs in this fellow!
I had two employees call in. I had another attempt to call in. AND when I tried to find someone to work, either no one would answer or they were sick! At that very moment I had two admissions come in back to back. Fortunately I had an Angel over in ICU come rescue me!! She helped get the ball rolling in a favorable direction. Then Kellie our Chief Nursing Officer (complete Angel with double halos) came in and saved the day!! I was finally able to get back to my nursing job.
It was a crazy day! I got more hugs today then Ive gotten all year! I work with some of the NICEST people on this Earth! I pray that I get to run into them again...but not because Im being admitted or something of that nature!! Id like to see them at a lunch date or something really tame! No bandages, blood, guts or anything else offensive involved!
I dont know what I think and feel about it being my last day. Im exhausted tonight. But I know that Ill really miss my friends! Im greatful for the opportunity that God has allowed me to get to know them and spend time with them!

No comments: