Saturday, August 9, 2008

Second to last

Today was the second to last day at work in Elberton. I left work about 8:30PM. I had 7 patients. Half of the rooms were terribly needy. One lady threatened "I've got a gun and Ill shoot your ass!" She also tried to gum my arm, pinch and hit me. Overall I thought it was a good shift.....HA! Our most beloved CNA told me that this patient threw french fries at her and landed them right smack into her face! hehe This OOOOOLDDDD lady threw a Houdini and managed to loose herself from bilateral wrist restraints, a posey vest, took her gown off and pulled off one of her sequential compression devices from her legs. Oh and she pulled off the side pads that we placed on her bed rails for her protection. How she accomplished this feat in between visits that I made into her room and the CNA made in within the hour, is beyond me. But let me just say that it took two of us to get her back in all of her restraints. AND it took two of us to hold her hand down so that I could get her wrist restraint retied. This woman has guns like a prize fighter. Ive never seen anything like it!
Despite the terroristic threats today went like any other day...chaos, demands, begging, beeping pumps, many treks up and down the halls, urine, feces and teeth in a cup. Tomorrow being my last day I know I am going to have mixed feelings still! I love the people I work with. I love working with patients!!! I love seeing the moments when you KNOW God is working on someone. I love when patients laugh like they havent laughed in a long time. I love family members that feel like they are MY own family. I love knowing that there are still really good people out in this strange world.
Monday I officially start my new job. One of my coworkers at Elbert told me that I am going to be really bored working in Athens with my new coworkers. I told her that I could be because there are only 2 other employees in my office besides me. My Elbert coworkers are a lively bunch! They always make me laugh. When we are GOING THROUGH IT, I know we are doing it TOGETHER! Ive never seen such a team atmosphere. But, its the aforementioned chaos, pumps, stress that has just worn me out!
But as I was saying, I start in Athens officially. I really like the people I am working with. Our secretary is super nice and so is our surgeon. My boss is great too, a little hard of hearing, but I really like him! He will be staying in the Atlanta office once I get trained.
So, tomorrow will probably be bittersweet. I wont cry though if I manage to go the whole day without getting blood, feces or urine on me. I wont cry if I miss getting hit by Miss Smith and Wesson. I wont cry if I get a chance to sit down for 10 minutes. But I might cry when I get through giving report, clock out and head out to my car. Ill have to remember to wear my BIG GIRL PANTIES tomorrow!! And maybe carry a kleenex! My allergies have been bad lately!!!

No comments: