Saturday, August 2, 2008

When in need

Have you ever thought what it takes to be a hero? I found out today that it only takes about 2 seconds!
Pete, the girls and I went with my friend Nancy and her husband Kevin to the lake this afternoon. Yesterday was Kevin's birthday. We went to lake to grill and to play at the "beach." Kevin cooked the burgers on his gas stove and they were great....thanks Kevin!! I also made some homemade potato salad and brownies. They were great too! After we ate we went down to the "beach" on the lake. Nancy and I were sitting up under this little tent that we had set up. The girls and Kevin were in the water playing. Pete had gone up to the bathroom. Nancy and I being good moms were keeping the ole hawkeyes on our children playing in the water. I noticed that Kevin was picking the girls up and throwing them up and out in to the water. I glanced away and looked back and THOUGHT I saw Kevin playing with this black kid. Kevin was reaching his arms out to him....
Suddenly Kevin dove under the water and all I saw of the boy was his hands sticking out of the water. Kevin pushed him up and I saw the boys top half went back in the water. Kevin came up with him. Out of no where a Hispanic man came and started pulling the boy up by one of his arms. I took off down into the water. I knew that this was no water game. We dragged the boy up onto the beach. He was limp. All I could think was "this boy probably has water in his lungs...are we going to do CPR?!!" OH MY GOD! Things like this just dont ever happen while I am around. We got him over on his side. He was coughing up clear sputum. No water and no vomit. He had rapid respirations!!! PRAISE GOD he was breathing on his own. His heart rate was about 95!! PRAISE!!! MY HEART WAS RACING!!!! But at least he was conscious! We found out this young mans name and that he was 13. His mom came down the hill from the picnic benches carrying a less than 1 year old baby. She hit him with a barrage of questions! ARE YOU OK??? WHAT HAPPENED!! DO YOU NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL??! The poor boy couldnt answer. I told her that he needed time to catch his breath. He was scared to death...much like ME!!
I tried to think where my stethoscope was...I think I left it in my locker at work! That darn thing! I always leave it at work somewhere. It wasnt in my car for sure!! We are never prepared for such things. I just listened to his breaths with my ear to his chest. I could hear the air moving in and out of each lobe! PRAISE!!! I couldnt hear any wet sounds in there!
Once the boy gained his strength he said that he had just gotten tired out there swimming. Kevin said that he heard the boy yell for help. I all I know was that he was on that boy in a matter of seconds. Kevin used to be in the Navy and had to perform water drills regularly during training. Im so glad he did!! If Kevin had waited, that boys lungs would have filled with water. I can not believe that he didnt DROWN or at least go unconscious!
I hugged that boy and told him that I was glad he was ok...as in LIVING. His mom got choked up and said she just did not know what she would have done if something had happened to him. His other family members thanked us profusely for saving him. These two ladies that were out in the water with him said that all they could do was stand there. They too did not know how to swim. I can not imagine having to stand there helpless because going after someone drowning would lead to my own demise. Again, all I can say is THANK GOD Kevin was out there!!
We joked about the whole situation afterward. I was scared and Im not going to tell anyone anything differently. I had complete and total tunnel vision. Once I locked my eyes on Kevin and that boy, I couldnt tell you who was around or anything else. I focused my attention on this boy and little else. I remember telling Lila and Madison to get up on the beach. Of course they didnt pay me any attention. It would have really been awful to be trying to save someone and have my own drown!!!
Pete said when he looked down there at the beach, he thought we were about to have to do "U-P-S" on some boy! I laughed..UPS?! hehe He heard that on some news report probably on YouTube or something...hehehe Im really glad we didnt have to do the ole UPS!! We got the mom to take her son to the ER. He was doing fine I think but if he sucked in lake water...he may very well have needed antibiotics. Some big white guy with a Hawiian shirt on, was telling him to eat bread..I guess to soak up the water??! I told the mom and boy not to eat or drink anything....EAT BREAD??? What the heck??! He probably thought we DID need to do UPS on the kid!!
Anyway, Kevin's my hero now. In only 2 seconds, Kevin responded without hesitation. No matter what kind of junk he may talk in his day to day life, no matter how much he may try to act like he doesnt care, no matter how tough he might try to act....he heroed up on us today...and I sure am greatful...and I know a 13 year old's mom that is greatful too!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Wow.....well done you guys! You just never know, right?