Sunday, September 14, 2008

And they come back....

Ok so while I was out today, the Jehovah's Witnesses came back again! This time they dropped off a Watch Tower and an Awake magazine. Pete said that he was out cutting the grass when this fellow dropped by. He said that this fellow was insinuating that Pete didn't go to church today. Maybe he thought that since he was cutting the grass that he was an unbeliever. Pete told him that we were members at Comer. Anyway, this fellow wanted to share a verse from James with him. So he did and then he left.
I took the opportunity to read over their literature. I want to know EXACTLY what they believe and why they call themselves Christians. Well, after reading their literature, I still couldn't come up with a full answer of their beliefs. So I went to their official website. From the website I was able to read a lot about Jehovah and Christ but I couldn't find a clear way to be saved. And I discovered that they believe that when Christ returns, Heaven will be on Earth not in Heaven. Only certain people will go to Heaven, the rest will stay on Earth and live in Paradise under Jesus' rule.
I did finally come across the idea that they use the Old and New Testaments. They call them something else. Also, they believe in Mary and the Virgin birth. They also quote Revelations a lot. There is no mention of confession of sins. Baptism. No sprinkling or otherwise. What happened to John the Baptist? The Disciples?Anyway, check them out. I think its good to know what other groups are saying about Christ. Compare that to your own beliefs. I think that Christianity as we know it, based upon the Bible only, is very comforting and straightforward.
There is a website set up by an independent person called www.towerwatch.com this group has spelled out why the JWs are wrong in their beliefs. They say that the JW's believe that only 144000 will go to Heaven. The rest of the world wont go to Hell, they will stay here on Earth in Paradise or die.
So why am I concerning myself with the JWs at all? Maybe because they keep showing up at our door and giving us literature! I want to know what they are thinking. And truthfully I just don't agree with their beliefs.

1 comment:

Kris said...

It's like a Holy pyramid scheme: recruit more people under you and you're better off at the top in the 144,000 that are going to heaven.

Like Amway for the believers.