Thursday, September 25, 2008

Testing, testing, 1..2..3...

I realize that most of my blogs seem to be related to my faith in some way. I really don't want to sound preachy. I think that God has been directing me to write some of my blogs. I pray about it a lot of times. Maybe since I'm not working in the hospital setting, working in a caring for others type ministry, perhaps this is a way to supplement my service to Him? I don't know. All I know is that I have enjoyed being able to share my thoughts and experiences with you. So if you ever get to feeling bogged down with my thoughts, well then YOU JUST PRAY ABOUT IT!! hehehe
My faith has been a tricky thing over the years. I feel like such a toddler in my Christian life. Sometimes I feel so strong in my faith, I literally feel like God is carrying me in his arms through certain parts of my life. Other times, I feel as though I have been shut up in a dark closet and I know God is out there, but there is that door in between us. I really don't like that feeling. That's when I really try to pray even harder. I have had moments where I got down on my knees and sobbed to God to please open my heart and mind.
Yesterday at work, I really had my beliefs challenged. My boss David began to question my beliefs. David is a good person and a very smart person. But he is very LIBERAL and one of those Democrat folks. I have other Democrat friends and relatives (that read my blog---red headed ones at that) whom I dearly love and I'm not trying to insult them or say anything other than the fact that: on the subject of politics, we don't agree. But David mentioned to me that there was someone in politics that had the view that ONLY Christians should be elected to office. I kind of shrugged and gave a "well..." sort of response. He questioned my support of this person's beliefs. I told him that being an American I cant say that that shouldn't necessarily be true. However, being a Christian, I cant say that if there is person was qualified to be in office and they were a Christian then I feel like that would be a bonus. I really like that our President is a Christian.
So David pressed on...what if the person running for office was a Buddhist or a Muslim? Well, if there wasn't a qualified Christian and these people were more qualified....then I guess they can have that position. But Id like to think that there is probably a qualified Christian for the job! Either way, I would want someone with the good of the people and what's best for our country in office.
David dug in a little deeper. He asked me that as a Christian do I really believe that the world is only 6 thousand years old?? And do I believe that Jonah was swallowed by a whale? Do I believe that Adam and Eve existed in a garden with a talking snake?? He also asked me about my stance on homosexuality. Why he didn't GO THERE with abortion and divorce I don't know!!
So all I could say was this...since I am no Bible scholar (being a Toddler in faith and all): I believe all of what the Bible says. I don't think that the world is only 6 thousand years old. I know that dinosaurs roamed the Earth. But what is time to God? God created Earth in 6 days and rested on day 7. The Bible mentions Adam and Eve but doesn't say that on the 12th day God created man. Time is a human created measurement. I don't know what a million years is to God. And God had to have created dinosaurs and cavemen. I think that they were probably just fancy, interesting toys to God. Then he probably got lonely for more interesting creatures that he created in his own image.
What about EVOLUTION?? Is Charles Darwin wrong? Kind of....I don't believe that we EVOLVED from monkeys. Sorry. Are we genetically related. Sure. We are also genetically related to all mammals. Have some creatures had to evolve/adapt to our environment? Yes, I do believe that. Otherwise, those species would not have ever survived. Does God allow this to happen? Obviously he does.
What about Jonah...I think he did get swallowed by a big fish...was it a whale? I dunno. Lots of strange things happened back in the olden days. God really had to work to get these people's attention! There weren't many big scholars and a lot of educated folks roaming the Earth back then. Symbolism and phallic symbols weren't part of their way of thinking. God had to be much more literal with them. And thankfully, he is much more literal with us at times!
I told David that I couldn't answer all the questions of life and creation. I can only go by what the Bible says about all this stuff. And I do trust what it says. Can I explain things like why bad things happen to good people? Homosexuality? Disease? Large fish eating people? Walking on water? Parting of Seas? No. Ill just have to wait to see what God says about all that stuff.
David then told me that he believed some of that stuff too. He just doesn't know all the answers and cant understand it all. He was grilling me and putting me on the spot to see what I would say. Thanks! Am I offended that he questioned my religious beliefs? No way! I think that its good to have a challenge like that. Now if he said that he was going to fire me for being a Christian, Id say...BRING IT ON PAL! But this wasn't the case. David likes to try to make me squirm. And I think that when Jesus' disciple was challenged and he denied Jesus, (three times) I think that he was scared and didn't realize that he shouldn't cave (for fear of death). Well, I didn't cave (but the stakes weren't as high either!!!). Did I sound like a bumbling idiot because I couldn't quote scriptures? Probably. But I don't care about that. That conversation wasn't about me.
See, our secretary and I are faithful Christians (notice I didn't say perfect Christians!). And I asked her right after starting here why she thought that two people with similar beliefs and faith were placed in such a small office together? I didn't think that that was a coincidence. I think that people like David are going to be drawn to us to know more. See, Sherrie and I have actually prayed together here at work when it seemed that our day was headed South from the get go! And I have to tell you that our day worked out brilliantly!! God was SOOOO with us! I think that non believers and other Christians are going to know or sense whats going on in this office (I surely hope so!) and there are going to be more tests and more people seeking love and support. And I think that's all just part of God's great plan!!

No comments: