Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Red, White and Blue

This morning at church, one of our members, Wendy was explaining a few public service crusades that the Ladies Ministry is participating in. Wendy is the wife of an American Soldier. Shane is in Afghanistan right now and will be there for nearly a year. They have two children together. Their children are very young. So, essentially right now Wendy is a single parent. I don't say that to shame Shane or any other soldier. I am proud of Wendy. I am proud of Shane. They are both making HUGE sacrifices for our country right now. And even though Wendy has loaned our country (and right now, Afghanistan) her husband, she still is trying to head up these programs to give assistance to the Afghan people and to our Soldiers.
One of the projects is called Operation Bundle Up. They are asking that people donate warm clothes and jackets to the Afghan people that Shane and his fellow soldiers are "mentoring" right now.These people are very poor. They do not receive government assistance because they live in the "rural" area that Shane is stationed in. October marks the beginning of very cold winter in this part of the country. The soldiers want to be able to help these people by helping them stay warm and alive. Wendy and the Ladies Ministry at Comer Baptist are requesting clothing donations or financial assistance with shipping costs. Wendy is also wanting to collect letters, donations of powdered drinks, candy, snack foods, toiletries and the like for the soldiers.
What a selfless act by Wendy... to take a tremendous amount of time out of her life and her children's lives to put together these programs. And how exciting that we will be helping the Afghan people! And more exciting, that we will be able to show our own thanks and appreciation to OUR soldiers for what they are doing!
I don't have anyone personally from my family that is stationed in a hot spot with our military. I have a couple of friends that are married to soldiers. Words can not express how much I appreciate the HUGE sacrifices these families make. I can not begin to imagine what it must be like to send my husband off to war or a war zone. These soldiers are gone so long during each tour of duty.
One way that I am reminded of our soldiers daily is this (please don't laugh): I have a little green plastic Army man that rests above my vanity in the bathroom. Every day I see this lone soldier there, always poised, ready for action. It helps remind me that there are thousands of people, men and women stationed all over this world, doing a job that honors our country and assists the people of the world. I do pray for our soldiers and their families. I hope that this will be a reminder to you to say a little prayer for our soldiers and their families too!
Wendy and Shane, thank you for all that you are doing! We love you both and your beautiful little family! Thank you for being so self less and caring!

No comments: