Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Weekend

This weekend was the first in a long time for Pete and me....we got away for the entire weekend without the kids!!! If you dont have kids, you cant really appreciate what that means for a couple!!
One thing it meant for us to be without the kids, is that every time I stopped the car and got ready to get out, I unconsciously looked back to the back seat thinking I had to get Lila and Lyndi out! Some habits are hard to shake!
Saturday night, Pete and I had dinner sans screaming, fussing and having to say "EAT AND QUIT PLAYING!!!" And we didnt have to spend $10 for a meal that didnt get eaten by Lila! That was nice too! Now, dont get me wrong, we did miss them this weekend! But we appreciated the break too!
Pete rode in the 3/6 Gap ride in Dahlonega today. If you dont know anything about bicycling, the 3 Gap refers to the three mountains that Pete had to ride up. It was a 58 mile ride. The people that rode the 6 Gap had to ride up 6 mountains. And if you think "HOW HARD CAN THAT BE??!" You are nuts!! Riding the course in my car about wore me out! I dont know how Pete did it!! And he said that it was his most favorite ride ever! He never once got off his bike to walk! He is my hero! Im amazed that he was able to complete this ride. And he did it in 4 hours and 3 minutes. Amazing!
Men and women alike rode. Some people were obviously in their 60s and maybe even older. There were some teens in the ride too. When it came down to it though, no matter how big and strong they were, they were all tired at the end of that race. But they should have all been proud of themselves for even getting up the first mountain and attempting that ride!
We saw God's country today. Part of that ride went up through a community called Suches. Im telling you, that was some of the most beautiful land Ive seen in Georgia. It was just amazing! We really live in a beautiful state!
Anyway, its back to the grind tomorrow. Oh and no there wasnt any gas up in the mountains either! If there was a gas station that had gas, it was for about $4.19 a gallon and the lines of cars wound out of the stations and down the road. Again, I was thankful for my little car. I saw a Hummer last night and thought that that kid driving it must really regret having a vehicle like that! Because it doesnt matter if you have the cash to pay for gas...there isnt any gas around to be paid for!!!

No comments: