Thursday, July 24, 2008

35 and a few months

Working in health care, I always have the opportunity to meet the most amazing people. The oldest person I have ever met was 103 years old. I can not imagine living to be 103. I dont know if people would be as fascinated with me as we were with that particular patient. I also dont think that my memory would hold up. I already feel like I have early Alzheimer's disease at times. I would have to just make some stuff up about what life was like in the "olden days." Its not like anyone else would know the difference. Once you get that old, I doubt that you have many family members still around that could argue with you. You might could actually convince some great great great great grandyoungin that INDEED you DID date some famous actor like Brad Pitt back in the day. Not that they would know or even care about Brad or his love life.
Its hard to believe that when I was a little girl I used to pray EVERY night that I would live to be 103 some day. Im not sure what made 103 so fascinating. But I prayed it. And NOW I hope that that prayer falls under one of those things that God just dismissed as a childish wish.
Last night at church, our bible study teacher Jerry was talking about eternal life. I have to admit that what he said after the eternal life comment got lost on me. I was too busy pondering what it will be like to live forever. To be truly honest, I felt kind of tense about it. I know that sounds silly. Who wouldnt want to live forever in Utopia with Jesus, God and Grandpa?? But in my human mind I still cling to Earthly life experience. I can only base what I know on my personal knowledge of life here on Earth. Yea, I know thats incorrect thinking but....
I tend to forget that in our eternal life, no one will be sick. No anxiety, depression, anger, hatred, back talk, fear, death, stench, thievery, ill will, rebuke, sulphur water, road kill or the like will exist. But death, eternal rest will never exist either. The rest part will I suppose. A life long vacation of sorts. Can you imagine that? I can not. I mean, other than praising God (which is great!!!), what will we have to do there? When we talk to others we can not ask "how's your Mama annem?" Because we will already KNOW the answer. We probably wont have to ask anyone if they need anything. I imagine we will already have it or not even long for anything. And you know there wouldnt be television in Heaven for all the tv junkies. Other than cooking shows and HGTV what would there be to watch since those shows seem to be the only ones that arent spoiled by profanity, perversion and sex. Praise and worship hymns will be great! Learning all the secrets of life will be great! Maybe we will get to explore the vast Universe out there that we know little about. I just dont know. Maybe God has made a vast PLAY ground out there that would cause us to never even think about how long our lives will be?
Can you imagine not having to WORK for something? I know I havent gotten any where in THIS life not having to work hard for it. I hope we have tasks in Heaven. I hope we get to serve each other. I hope we get to spend quality time with Jesus. I hope that I have a MUCH BETTER singing voice in Heaven. And since Gluttony is a SIN, I guess that kind of rules out buffet bars???
Anyway, Ive made it to 35 and a few months. I feel confident that when I leave this life that I WILL go to the Heaven we have been promised. I just can not begin to fathom what TRUE perfection and greatness is going to be like. I can not imagine with my selfish, banana nut muffin loving, cobbler from EMH coveting, sleeping in late desiring, HUMAN MIND what it will be like. I just hope that I dont have a full 68 more years (to 103) to wait until I get there. I guess Ill just have to relax once I do get there and stop worrying for once in my life. Then I can pick up the hymnal and actually sing a NEW (beautiful) song to God and Jesus with my NEW voice!

No comments: