Sunday, July 13, 2008

Just Plain Weird

Just plain weird
Have you have had a moment when your brain seemed to literally connect to another person's brain and you had the same thought? My marriage has been like that forever. Pete and I are always thinking the same thing. But Im not talking about that exactly. Ive had two occasions where this has happened with people that are not my family or spouse.
Once in college I had this great professor. He taught sociology classes. I think I was taking Juvenile delinquency from him. His name was Terry (he died of a heart attack in his late 40's.) Anyway, Terry had asked the class a question. Not even a cricket could be heard chirping in the room. None of those "kids" (since I was an old 29) had a clue what the answer was...And I wasnt willing to raise my hand and answer...I just thought the answer in my head. And Terry said "thats right Marci, say that again." And I thought...now thats odd...I hadnt even opened my mouth! A friend of mine that sat next to me said after class that she never heard me say anything. So I repeated the thought that I had in my head out loud...and it was the right answer. That was WEIRD.
Then on Wed I went to the chiropractor. My chiropractor is really cool. We went to high school together. He doesnt remember me but I remember him. But anyway, while I was sitting in the room, he was asking me about how I was feeling or something. My thoughts turned to a friend of mine that is in the hospital. I have been emailing several people asking for prayers for her. While I was thinking of her, my chiropractor said "How's she doing?" And I was like, SURELY he is asking about Lyndi since she was with me. He said, "No your friend." I thought that was so odd. It was too random to be coincidence. But it seems like that happened one other time with him too. I dismissed that time. This time I didnt.
The human mind is so amazing. Perhaps its not that this is a rare occurrence. But in fact, maybe it happens pretty often, we just dont know it because we dont talk about whatever thought it is we were having. I tend to drift off in thought a lot when people talk. Maybe we might be thinking the same thing, I just might not want you to know that my attention span just gave out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.